Monday, February 27, 2012

Symphony House

Olympus E-PM1 with Lumix 14mm f/2.5 lens @ f/4.5, ISO 500, 1/250 sec

ISO 500 may seem an odd choice for this photo given that there was plenty of light available to use a lower ISO which would produce a photo with less noise and more dynamic range. But the problem was that I looked at the camera and thought I saw ISO 200 because the “5” kind of looked like a “2.” Oops. Luckily, the photo still came out fine.

* * *


“Symphony House” is the name of the terracotta-colored building with the balconies. It’s a rental apartment building on 56th Street between Eighth Avenue and Broadway. Or you can simply call it 235 W. 56th St. I think the developer named it “Symphony House” because of its proximity to Carnegie Hall.

I checked the prices online, and I see that for $3,350 you can rent an “alcove studio” which includes your very own balcony. It’s a pretty large studio for Manhattan, although I don’t really get the “alcove” part because the floorplan just shows a big square room. And for this price, you still don’t get your own washer/dryer, but I guess the theory is that if you can afford to live there, you can afford to have a housekeeper stop by your apartment while you’re not home and do your laundry for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment